Skip to content

History

Ashwood was founded as an initiative of several families in midcoast Maine interested in Waldorf education. The first kindergarten was launched in 1986 in Lincolnville Center with the expansion of a small cabin near the Silverio residence on Proctor Road. A second kindergarten class opened in Rockport in 1990. This became the site for the main Ashwood campus in 1991 when a combined first-and-second grade class ushered in the grade school program. Today, we enroll approximately 80 students from midcoast Maine, who come to us from as far north Montville and as far south as Damariscotta.

Our school is part of the international Waldorf movement, which began in Germany in 1919 when Austrian philosopher Rudolf Steiner founded the first Waldorf school. There are currently more than 1,000 Waldorf schools in 23 countries, including 125 schools in the United States.